By Rohi Shetty
Over the past few weeks, several of my friends told me that they were disappointed that my e-books were available only as Kindle books. They said they didn’t have a Kindle so they couldn’t read my e-books. Fortunately, they are mistaken.
One of the biggest advantages of publishing on the Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) program is that you can read Kindle books not only on Kindle but also on your computer, smartphone or tablet.
To do this, you have to download free Kindle reading apps for each device. The full list of Kindle reading apps is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771
These Kindle apps give you access to over two million Kindle books in the Kindle Store, including new releases and best sellers. In addition, you can read thousands of free books including classics such as Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. You can also download and read a free sample of any Kindle book and then decide whether you want to buy it.
Individual Links to download free Kindle reading apps:
1. Kindle Cloud Reader
Read instantly in your browser (Cloud): https://read.amazon.com/?ref_=kcr_kcp_ariel
a. iPhone and iPod touch
d. Windows Phone:
Windows 8 desktop, Windows 7, XP & Vista:
Windows 8, RT and Modern UI:
Additional benefits of Kindle reading apps
Once you buy a Kindle book, you can download and read it on multiple devices. For example, you can download it on your home and office computers as well as your smartphone and tablet.
Amazon’s Whispersync technology enables you to automatically save and synchronize your furthest page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across all your devices. That means you can start reading a book on one device and continue reading it on another device.
Each individual Kindle app has additional features. For example, you can use the Kindle app for PC to:
- look up the definition of words using the built-in dictionary
- search within any book to find a topic, character, or section you want to revisit
- organize your books into various collections/lists
- look up descriptions of characters, important places, popular quotes, and themes from Shelfari, the community-powered encyclopedia for book-lovers
- switch to full-screen reading mode, choose your background color, and adjust the brightness of your screen
- choose from a large selection of e-textbooks to read with the Kindle for PC app
- highlight, take notes, and add bookmarks in any book and
- view page numbers that correspond to a book’s print edition page numbers to easily cite passages.
Once you have downloaded your free Kindle Reading app, you can download my Kindle e-book The Secret of the King’s New Clothes: An Illustrated Funny Story for Children available for free download from 27th to 31st August here.
(27 August 2014)