If you are an online writer, you should consider the option of creating one or more niche website. A niche website is a site that is developed and promoted to serve a targeted audience and has the potential to become a source of passive revenue. You can use such websites to build valuable online business assets that can create create multiple streams of online income.
To build a successful internet business, follow this four-step road-map:
1. Choose a niche topic and research its main keywords
While choosing a niche for your website, make sure that it has market potential by checking the number of people who search for it on Google. More importantly, make sure you are genuinely interested in your chosen niche topic and won’t lose interest in it after a few months.
Once you have chosen your niche, use Google Adwords to find specific keywords related to it. The choice of your main keywords also depends on the monetization method that you plan to use. For example, if you plan to build a list or sell products in that niche, research keywords that are searched most frequently on Google.
2. Incorporate your selected keywords in your content
Once you have made a list of your target keywords, the next step is creating web content in your website to attract traffic. Ideally, you should write your own articles. However if you don’t have the ability or time, you can partner with other writers or invite them to write guest posts. It is important to update your website regularly. The new web content helps to build traffic to your website and to sustain the interest of your audience. At the end of a few months, your website will be an invaluable resource about your niche topic.
3. Promote Your Website and Build Multiple Traffic Streams
After sufficient high-value web content creation, it is crucial to attract people to your website to read your blog articles. Unless you have high-value original content and can attract and retain an audience, it is difficult to make money from your website. Some of the ways to build traffic to your website are:
- Promote your website content on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.
- Write articles on your niche topic for article directories and submit them to multiple article directories and include two links to your website in the accompanying resource box.
- Write comments in forums related to your niche and include a link to your website for more information.
- Make short promotional videos and upload them on YouTube.
4. Monetize Your Website
Once you have sufficient high-value content and a loyal readership, it is time to make money from your website. Some of the ways to monetize your website are:
- affiliate marketing
- Google Adsense PPC or other display ads
- sale of your own info-products and services
Initially, focus on any one way to monetize your website. If it is unsuccessful, try other monetization methods. Each one has its own benefits and drawbacks and you may have to tweak them for maximum benefit.
In conclusion, you can use your writing skills to create one or more niche websites and monetize them in various ways. You can also link to these sites from your blog to showcase your writing skills.
(22 August 2012)
Rohi Shetty is a medical doctor, Vipassana meditator, writer, editor, translator and blogger. His short stories and articles have been published online and in print.